I am learning about emotions/feelings and mind management.
Emotions are energy (actual vibrations from our minds) that we can control through our thoughts. “When we allow a thought [true or not/good or not], an image, or a belief/idea into our subconscious minds, the degree to which we amplify the thought or belief in our imaginations, plus the amount of memory data we recall from our memories to justify and validate being right with the accepted belief, makes it a predominant behavior producing thought in our belief system.” (The Emotional Skills and Tools of Positive Mind Management by Dennis Parker) Susan David, PhD calls this amplification.
Remember that truth, light, love, encouragement, beauty, and goodness create life in us. They effect our feelings. Imagine how your family would improve if everyone had control of their emotions.
The brain is different than the mind, Dennis Parker teaches. The brain is a physical organ in our bodies. It is programmed to repeat itself and to defend itself. This is why we regurgitate thoughts (worries, memories, hurts, images) over and over. We need to make sure the “stories” we are telling ourselves are true and uplifting. The mind is the center of your intelligence. It is the eternal part of you. The mind controls the brain and as you continue to strengthen your mind, you will be able to control your brain, which controls your thoughts, which controls your feelings and emotions, thus controlling your life. Isn’t it fitting that the Savior teaches to let virtue garnish your thoughts unceasingly. Virtue is light, purity, and truth. From this power we can be one with God and gain all that he has: riches, peace, knowledge of the past and future, His love, and much more.
I am reading a few books and doing other research on these subjects right now. I hope to become a source for good in the arena of emotion and mind management. It is all very cool.
You have an amazing mind! Let it help you be happy! When you are feeling happy your family will be happier too. Here is my current book/media list:
- “The Emotional Skills and Tools of Positive Mind Management” by W. Dennis Parker
- TedTalk: “The Give and Power of Emotional Courage” by Susan David
- The Life Coach School Podcast by Brooke Castillo
- Better Than Happy Podcast by Jody Moore
- The Jackrabbit Effect by Leslie Householder
- Rare Faith Podcast by Leslie Householder
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
- Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol K. Truman
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace Wattles