You may have to be old to appreciate this kind of humor, but have you heard of Jeanne Robertson? She is a white-haired Southern comedian who calls her husband “Left Brain” and wears sequins. My mother introduced her to me and I can’t help but share it. CLICK HERE for one of her many hilarious stories. Why do we need to laugh?
According to Helpguide.org, “Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease. Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.” Is that why sometimes I crave a funny movie? Is that why I love hanging out with my mom, who is funny and thinks I am funny? We can laugh for a long time.
Well, I don’t doubt that for a minute. If we need a good laugh every-once-in-a-while, so do our kids. Here are some ideas to infuse some laughter into your ordinary REAL LIFE day:
- Have a tickle match.
- Do something unpredictable, like eat under the table as a family.
- Play a board game – almost any game will bring laughs.
- Play charages, hide-and-go-seek, sardines, musical chairs or another old fashioned classic.
- Don’t be so serious. Look for funny things your kids do and enjoy it. Enjoy them. I need to take all this advice myself!
- Play a harmless prank. Tell a joke. Use funny words.
- For more ideas go to “Make-em-laugh.”
My kids are so funny! I know your kids are too. Laugh! Have fun! Breathe easy! God wants us to be happy. Relax and enjoy your real life. <3